How does a bee Pollen Trap Collector work?

How does a bee Pollen Trap Collector work? Beekeeping

What is a bee pollen trap collector?

A Pollen Trap Collector is a device for collecting bee pollen (pollen grains). Various designs of pollen traps have been developed from the basic concept of scraping pollen off the bees’ legs as they enter the hive. Pollen collectors are made of plastic, metal, or wood. At this point, two primary types of pollen collectors are used in beekeeping, internal and external.

Pollen Trap Collector

Internal and external pollen trap collectors are built differently, so we are going to discuss their construction individually.

External (Outside) pollen trap collector mechanism

External pollen collector is most common these days for collecting bee pollen. That is because it’s effortless to install and easy to use. Let’s look at how the external pollen collector is made.

outside pollen trap

The components of a pollen collector:

  1. The body with a lid.
  2. Pollen collecting tray with ventilation openings.
  3. The area with rectangular openings for the shedding of pollen grains into the tray.
  4. Grids with hexagonal or round/square openings and protrusions around them on the backside.

This device enables the collection of pollen brought by bees in pollen grains, with accumulation and airing due to ventilation through the tray’s opening.

Pollen collectors are usually made of plastic or other similar materials that cause fewer injuries to bees.

There are several openings in pollen collectors for bee drones. They can use them to enter or exit out of the beehive. These openings are usually at the bottom or on the sides of a beehive.

External pollen trap benefits:

  1. Ease of operation and pollen collection.
  2. Low cost, an opportunity to choose the best pollen collector with a significant discount.
  3. Time-efficient pollen collection.

External pollen trap disadvantages:

  1. The external pollen collector’s biggest shortcoming is its dependence on weather conditions – strong wind or high humidity. The pollen may absorb the excess moisture.

Internal pollen trap collector mechanism

Internal pollen collector is installed in a standard hive body or other inner parts of a beehive.

The components of the internal pollen trap collector:

  1. The body
  2. Two meshes
  3. Pull-out drawer
inside pollen trap 1
inside pollen trap 2
inside pollen trap 3

 

Benefits of this pollen trap collector:

  1. The pollen is preserved on the inside of the hive body better than outside.
  2. Lots of space for collecting pollen.

Disadvantages of the internal pollen collector:

  1. Difficult installation process. It’s not suitable for all beehives.
  2. Improper use of pollen collectors may result in collecting waste along with pollen.
  3. You must disturb the bees to get the pollen out.

How does a bee pollen trap collector work

Despite the type of pollen trap collector, they operate in the same way.

  1. The bee flies up to the hive with pollen (pollen grain). It is forced to enter the hive through a first mesh screen.
  2. The pollen falls off the bee’s legs into the basket. The diameter of an opening must be just the right size for a bee. Otherwise, if the diameter is too large, the pollen will not be collected. If the hole is too small, bees will get stuck in it or die. If entry into the beehive is too tricky, the number of departures may be reduced.
  3. The second mesh screen protects the basket from waste accumulation in the hive.
  4. It may take 1 to 5 days to collect pollen in the basket, depending on the weather conditions and type of pollen collector.

Will there be enough pollen for bees?

Do not worry about it. You must understand that even if you don’t have the pollen collector installed, bees lose a certain pollen amount. They usually collect more pollen than needed for the hive.

You may collect up to 75% of pollen when using a pollen collector. The remaining 25% is enough to support the bee family in the hive.

Author: Viktor Samuelov

LordOfBees
Add a comment